Let’s talk about house plants. Love them? Hate them? Real? Plastic?
I’m a strictly real house plant girl. That being said… I have two fake airplants. Ha! But only because I couldn’t find in real life just the right one for the particular space so I went to Hobby Lobby and got the plastic ones.
I get questions all the time on how I care for my indoor plants so I thought I’d write a few quick tips here:
- Read the tag! House plants are easy. IF you read their care tag and follow the suggested sunlight and watering schedule.
- Be careful what you plant in. Not all plants need a root system. Airplants have no roots and succulents have very short roots (which is why they’re always planted in the cutest containers!). Also, don’t move them to different containers. Find one and leave it. Just make sure it’s big enough to make a happy home for the plant.
- Be aware of the change in sunlight during each season. My plants love the summer sun but if they get too hot they wither quickly. In the winter my plants tend to hangout by a window that doesn’t get too cold.
- The pesty gnats! Honestly. Get ahead of the game! Somehow once there is one there are a billion! I sprinkle cinnamon on the soil and it prevents mildew, mold, and gnats! The gnats hate the smell of it and won’t lay their eggs there.
- Drainage. What you can’t see below the surface of your plant is the most important part. If the roots are soaked in water or are in bad soil that can’t drain properly you will get rotty roots (😂). Be sure your pot has a hole at the bottom, or put some sand in the bottom before you put soil in to help soak up the extra water.
House plants are tricky. And have a strong following of either lovers or haters. I am a lover. Because really truly, when I put a plant in a space that I’m not loving it instantly turns the space around. It shows detail while being a simple fix. And let’s be real, any chance to bring my love for my outdoor garden indoors — I’m game! Here’s a few of my current faves in the house. I was doing the weekly feed and they all looked so happy I had to take a couple quick pics.
And yes, they’re named. Plants love conversation 😉
This guy is in a magnetic pot on my fridge which I love! My kitchen doesn’t have a lot of natural light so he is a cheery addition. (Also, check out that leather magnet I got at the Perry Street Fair this weekend! Right from a local artist here in Spokane. Thanks Colladay Leather!)
I’d love to hear from you! Have a favorite indoor plant? A question? I’m no expert but I love talking plants.